G5 FLEX Fail…

Overall using this extruder was a brutal experience. I ordered the parts and assembled everything as instructed. Everything seemed to be going together fine, I also really double checked everything to make sure I didn’t miss anything. So after assembly and installation I edited my firmware file for klipper and started the tuning process for klipper.

I ended up having to go with the accelerometer for resonance measurements. I just couldn’t get past the first couple of layers of the test with the new extruder.

Now I am almost certain of the cause for this not working the way I intended and that comes down to the stepper motor. The stepper I was using was not capable of hit the high speed required for the 40:1 gear ratio. Starting your print out everything looks fine(kinda) but shortly into the print you notice what seems to be under-extrusion. So yeah I’ll have to come back to this one.

Some quick solutions for this would be to print a planetary gearbox that mounts to the stepper in between the flex shaft mount. There is a model available on thingiverse that accomplishes this.

Planetary Gearbox made by dalia5 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4848302

Another solution would be to get a stepper capable of handling those speeds.

So all in all it’s a great idea on paper, but in terms of real world application is a little limited.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *